Amber Heard for Guess Fall 2011
The past couple of days has been fairly interesting for me, as I have now noticed a relatively large growth spurt bump-wise as reaching over the sink to do the washing up is proving more difficult and I'm barely half-way there!
Anyhow, that's not the issue, the issue is my ass and my belly are growing to (what I consider) mammoth proportions and I now need new jeans to accommodate this (I am of course tempted to cut the waistband off an old pair and sew some jersey fabric as an over the bump style). Leggings just don't cut the mustard when it's cold.
image via here
Here are some key tips for buying the perfect jeans:
- Try as many different styles on (by different brands) to see which styles accentuate and fit you best. Do the sit, stretch & squat thing to see if they're comfortable reveal too much at the back or if they stretch too much you may want to go down a size.
- Check the back pockets, which should be centered on each cheek - giving you the perfect butt balance, too much detailing = more butt emphasis (unless you have a flat bottom, you should opt for flap pockets!) if pockets sitting too low = longer looking bottom - pockets positioned slightly higher = more pert looking derriere (unless you're pretty lucky in that department!).
Kate Moss for Liu Jo via here
- Darker washes instantly help you drop a few pounds and are most flattering.
- Buy the size that fits you not what the label says!
- If you're buying stretchy jeans with Elasthane in them, opt for a size smaller, as they'll only get baggier/stretch after lots of wears (especially if the quality of the fabric isn't great). If the Elasthane is under 2%, the shape and fit is likely to hold!
- Avoid muffin top jeans and go up a size or find a different style/brand that works fit wise for you.
- Found the perfect fit jeans but the lengths all wrong? Get them altered, it'll save you the headache!
If you're shopping by your body shape, this article by Shape and this article by FabSugar are brilliant and helpful!
Collage of images of Sienna Miller, Gisele Bundchen & Jessica Alba via Telegraph & Google images
I've got my eye on a skinny pair with a flesh coloured over the bump panel but haven't found my size (i'm smaller in GAP - Whoop Whoop), and have bought a normal black under the bump elasticated bootcut pair and am yet to try on a pair with side elasticated panels, which may hold up better.
Paige Westbourne Jimmy Jimmy jeans, Citizens of Humanity Ava straight leg, J brand straight leg, DL 1961 New Milano Leg.
Jeans are such a wardrobe staple that investing in a great pair is a necessity for me. Are there any brands out there you think are worth splurging on or do you have any tips when buying a pair of jeans? Please share!
I bought a pair of GAP under the waistband slim-bootcut trousers/jeans in black but they have already started to fall down, depsite bump growing. Am going to sew some poppers into the sides of the waist band so they can be adjusted.
Have a fantastic week!