Friday 22 March 2013

TO WEAR OR NOT TO WEAR... OR GO NAKED?

Jessica Biel's nails at the Los Angeles Premiere Total Recall Premiere, LA via here

That's right, the subject that's been on my mind of late has been wearing nail polish during pregnancy. Most of you know that I'm nutty for nail art & nail polish and I rarely go without painted toe nails all year round... but ever since I've been pregnant, all changed.

I like my nails to look pretty and I love a heavy dose of colour, wearing nail polish is a part of me.

Although your nails are keratin based and are dead, they still absorb chemicals and it's more of an issue when you get nail polish on your cuticles. I don't know what risks there are to the unborn baby but I do know that Toluene can cause birth defects and developmental problems but that you'd need to be inhaling the fumes regularly for this to cause any problems. Also watch out for formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate (DBP) or lets just call all of these the "toxic trio", which if inhaled on a regular basis can irritate the eyes, lungs and throat. I guess it's probably best to keep the room well ventilated or have the window open if you are painting your nails, just to be on the safe side, y'know.


So, which brands are free from formaldehyde, DBT and toluene?




Aside from the above, there are plenty of other brands that also claim to be free from the toxic trio - from Sally Hansen, Essie, Orly & Deborah Lippman - mainly because the ingredients aren't on the label... What I'd love to know is whether you'd wear nail polish or rather go naked during your pregnancy? Or did you? Answers on a post card please, would love to hear your views.


Wishing you all a happy weekend!
x.o.x.o
Pin It

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...